Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Just Some Music

I thought I'd take some time out of my day to share with you a few artists that you may or may not have heard of, but whom are great nonetheless.

1. The Civil Wars

Comprised of Joy Williams and John Paul White, the duo have amazing vocals, and a more folk-y feel. They collaborated with Taylor Swift in her Hunger Games soundtrack Safe and Sound.
Recommended track- Barton Hollow or Poison and Wine 

2. Elizabeth and the Catapult

Elizabeth Zimen has very strong vocals, and a voice as sweet as sugar. I had the pleasure of seeing her open up for Sara Bareallis in Duluth, and that's how I first found out about her. 2 albums and many, many song repeats later, Elizabeth and the Catapult is in my top 5 favorite bands.
Recommended track- Golden Ink or Race You 

3. Brandi Carlile

Brandi Carlile is one of the strongest voices i've ever heard, and has one of the biggest ranges. I saw her live at the state fair when Amos Lee opened for her, and it was absolutely fabulous, her songs on itunes don't show how truly talented she is. She is one of those performers who doesn't need autotune or a big backup band to accompany their voices.
Recommended track- Turpentine or That Wasn't Me

4. Chameleon Circuit

Comprised of YouTubers Alex Day, Charlie McDonnell, Liam Dryden, Ed "Eddplant" Blann, and Michael Aranda, these guys participate heavily in trock (time lord rock). If you don't understand the reference to time lords, you most likely wouldn't understand the songs. But if you are a Whovian, their songs will bring back memories of former episodes that made you sob, and add new emotions to the era of David Tennant.
Recommended track- Mr. Pond or The Sound of Drums

5. Keri Noble

The former singer is now a talk show host on Cities 97 in the morning, and from the resonating voice you hear in the morning, it shouldn't surprise you to learn that she used to have a fairly successful singing carrer. When I was about 10 years old, I saw her sing live, and fell in love with her smoky alto voice. I saw her perform 2 more times, and have a plethora of autographs.
Recommended tracks- Bartender or Look at Me

6. Scars on 45

I don't personally know a whole lot about scars on 45, but they come highly recommended from my dad, who is my music guru. They're a newer band, and from the few songs that I have heard, I like what I hear.
Recommended track- Give me Something or Loudest Alarm 

No comments:

Post a Comment